Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a weak on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Safe Bulkers as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SB has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $4.0 million.
- SB has traded 78,448 shares today.
- SB is trading at 4.01 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- SB is trading at a new low 7.04% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SB with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SB NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SB:
Safe Bulkers, Inc. provides marine dry bulk transportation services worldwide. It is involved in the acquisition, ownership, and operation of dry bulk vessels for transporting bulk cargoes, primarily coal, grain, and iron ore. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4.7%. SB has a PE ratio of 6.7. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Safe Bulkers a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
The average volume for Safe Bulkers has been 565,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Safe Bulkers has a market cap of $488.2 million and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 1.55 and a short float of 7.4% with 4.03 days to cover. Shares are down 42.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Safe Bulkers as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels, expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for SAFE BULKERS INC is rather high; currently it is at 51.73%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 5.36% trails the industry average.
- SB, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 10.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 9.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Marine industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 91.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $24.57 million to $2.07 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Marine industry and the overall market, SAFE BULKERS INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Safe Bulkers Ratings Report.