Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Beverages industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 211.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.44 million to -$0.49 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.06 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.44, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Beverages industry and the overall market, REEDS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for REEDS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 27.42%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -5.18% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.27 million or 117.77% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
Reed's, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the development, manufacture, marketing, and sale of natural non-alcoholic carbonated soft drinks, kombucha, candies, and ice creams primarily in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Asia. Reeds has a market cap of $73.3 million and is part of the consumer goods sector and food & beverage industry. Shares are up 1.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.