Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model.
NEW YORK (
-- Red Hat
) has been reiterated by TheStreet Ratings as a buy with a ratings score of B . The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Get trading ideas for stocks under $10 for less than $6/week. Start with a 14-Day Free Trial.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- RHT's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 8.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- RHT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.28, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The gross profit margin for RED HAT INC is currently very high, coming in at 89.70%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 10.90% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $103.85 million or 34.69% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 21.08%.
- RED HAT INC's earnings per share declined by 10.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RED HAT INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.74 versus $0.54 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.17 versus $0.74).
Red Hat, Inc. provides open source software solutions to enterprise customers worldwide. The company also offers enterprise-ready open source operating system platforms. The company has a P/E ratio of 72.9, equal to the average computer software & services industry P/E ratio and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Red Hat has a market cap of $10.57 billion and is part of the technology sector and computer software & services industry. Shares are up 26.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
--Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff.
FREE from Real Money's Jim Cramer: Winners and Losers Election 2012 - Steps to take NOW so you can profit no matter who is in charge!
Free Download Now