Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market mover with heavy volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Shire as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SHPG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $61.4 million.
- SHPG traded 69,100 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:53 AM, representing 15.1% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SHPG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SHPG NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SHPG:
Shire plc, a biopharmaceutical company, researches, develops, manufactures, sells, and distributes pharmaceutical products. It operates in three segments: Specialty Pharmaceuticals (SP), Human Genetic Therapies (HGT), and Regenerative Medicine (RM). The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.4%. SHPG has a PE ratio of 32.5. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Shire a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Shire has been 341,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Shire has a market cap of $22.5 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. Shares are up 29.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Shire as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- SHPG's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- SHPG's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.29 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.90 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 34.65% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- SHIRE PLC has improved earnings per share by 9.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SHIRE PLC reported lower earnings of $3.89 versus $4.54 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.84 versus $3.89).
- The gross profit margin for SHIRE PLC is currently very high, coming in at 87.00%. Regardless of SHPG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 20.25% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Shire Ratings Report.