Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market mover with heavy volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Northstar Realty Finance as such a stock due to the following factors:
- NRF has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $165.8 million.
- NRF traded 1.3 million shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:16 AM, representing 13% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NRF with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NRF NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on NRF:
NorthStar Realty Finance Corp., a real estate investment trust (REIT), operates as a commercial real estate (CRE) investment and asset management company in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 6.2%. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Northstar Realty Finance a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
The average volume for Northstar Realty Finance has been 7.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Northstar Realty Finance has a market cap of $5.2 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 1.25 and a short float of 6.8% with 1.88 days to cover. Shares are up 19.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Northstar Realty Finance as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 95.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 61.57% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- NORTHSTAR REALTY FINANCE CP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, NORTHSTAR REALTY FINANCE CP continued to lose money by earning -$0.55 versus -$2.26 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.14 versus -$0.55).
- The gross profit margin for NORTHSTAR REALTY FINANCE CP is rather high; currently it is at 61.26%. Regardless of NRF's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NRF's net profit margin of 2.56% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, NORTHSTAR REALTY FINANCE CP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Northstar Realty Finance Ratings Report.