Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- BPOP's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 403.17% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 33.66% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Although BPOP had significant growth over the past year, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock at the current time.
- 41.18% is the gross profit margin for POPULAR INC which we consider to be strong. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BPOP's net profit margin of 58.19% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market, POPULAR INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Popular, Inc., a financial holding company, provides a range of retail and commercial banking products and services primarily to institutional and retail customers in Puerto Rico and the Mainland United States. It offers various deposit products. Popular, Inc. Popular has a market cap of $2.76 billion and is part of the financial sector and banking industry. Shares are up 28.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.