NEW YORK (
-- PLX Technology
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- 48.30% is the gross profit margin for PLX TECHNOLOGY INC which we consider to be strong. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, PLXT's net profit margin of -32.50% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- PLXT, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 7.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 38.16%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 625.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, PLX TECHNOLOGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 706.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $1.51 million to -$9.13 million.
PLX Technology, Inc. designs, develops, manufactures, and sells integrated circuits. PLX Technology has a market cap of $165.6 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are down 1.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our