Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a weak on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Plug Power as such a stock due to the following factors:
- PLUG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $16.7 million.
- PLUG has traded 826,683 shares today.
- PLUG is trading at 2.17 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- PLUG is trading at a new low 4.15% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PLUG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PLUG NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on PLUG:
Plug Power Inc., an alternative energy technology provider, is engaged in the design, development, manufacture, and commercialization of fuel cell systems for the industrial off-road markets worldwide. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Plug Power a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Plug Power has been 6.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Plug has a market cap of $550.5 million and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of -0.08 and a short float of 20% with 5.23 days to cover. Shares are down 3.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Plug Power as a
. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$11.09 million or 58.18% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, PLUG POWER INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- PLUG POWER INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, PLUG POWER INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.79 versus -$0.94 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.19 versus -$0.79).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Electrical Equipment industry. The net income increased by 41.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$15.90 million to -$9.35 million.
- You can view the full Plug Power Ratings Report.