NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Plug Power Inc. (PLUG) - Get Report stock is up 7.29% to $6.92 Thursday, bouncing back from a steep decline on Wednesday, after confusion over CEO Andy Marsh's statement about details of its next major deal with a global automaker that would be announced in coming weeks.
The announcement caused confusion that Plug was about to sign a new deal, however CEO Marsh clarified his statement, saying he was not referring to a new deal but the one he announced on March 13.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates PLUG POWER INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate PLUG POWER INC (PLUG) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electrical Equipment industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 240.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$8.47 million to -$28.88 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$8.94 million or 93.52% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- PLUG POWER INC's earnings per share declined by 27.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PLUG POWER INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.79 versus -$0.94 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.09 versus -$0.79).
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, PLUG's share price has jumped by 2958.45%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in PLUG do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 35.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PLUG Ratings Report