NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and poor profit margins.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 12.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.40, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.50, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- PATRIOT TRANSN HOLDING INC has improved earnings per share by 43.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. However, the consensus estimates suggest that there will be an upward trend in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PATRIOT TRANSN HOLDING INC's EPS of $0.75 remained unchanged from the prior years' EPS of $0.75. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.84 versus $0.75).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Road & Rail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 66.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $6.40 million to $2.12 million.
- PATR has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 22.16% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
Patriot Transportation Holding, Inc. and its subsidiaries engage in the transportation and real estate businesses in the United States. It operates through three segments: Transportation, Mining Royalty Land, and Developed Property Rentals. The company has a P/E ratio of 25.7, above the average transportation industry P/E ratio of 25.3 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Patriot Transportation has a market cap of $198 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are down 5.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff