Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "perilous reversal" (up big yesterday but down big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified OxiGene as such a stock due to the following factors:
- OXGN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $22.8 million.
- OXGN has traded 577,557 shares today.
- OXGN is down 3.8% today.
- OXGN was up 6.8% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in OXGN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for OXGN NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on OXGN:
OXiGENE, Inc., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, develops therapeutics primarily to treat cancer.
The average volume for OxiGene has been 434,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. OxiGene has a market cap of $6.5 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 2.55 and a short float of 11.5% with 0.04 days to cover. Shares are down 18.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates OxiGene as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income and disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Biotechnology industry. The net income has decreased by 17.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$2.25 million to -$2.65 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, OXIGENE INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- In its most recent trading session, OXGN has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- OXIGENE INC's earnings per share declined by 20.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, OXIGENE INC continued to lose money by earning -$5.82 versus -$10.20 in the prior year.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to -$1.53 million or 29.50% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, OXIGENE INC's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 62.62%.
- You can view the full OxiGene Ratings Report.