Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- OSIR's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 11.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 219.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- OSIR's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 4.57, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, OSIRIS THERAPEUTICS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- OSIRIS THERAPEUTICS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, OSIRIS THERAPEUTICS INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.13 versus $0.44 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 76.9% in earnings (-$0.23 versus -$0.13).
- The gross profit margin for OSIRIS THERAPEUTICS INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 1.67%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, OSIR's net profit margin of -24.36% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
Osiris Therapeutics, Inc., a stem cell company, focuses on the development and marketing of therapeutic products to treat medical conditions in the inflammatory, cardiovascular, orthopedic, and wound healing markets. It operates in two segments, Biosurgery and Therapeutics. Osiris has a market cap of $521.6 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. Shares are up 64.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.