Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a weak on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified OraSure Technologies as such a stock due to the following factors:
- OSUR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $4.5 million.
- OSUR has traded 53,649 shares today.
- OSUR is trading at 3.98 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- OSUR is trading at a new low 4.04% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in OSUR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for OSUR NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on OSUR:
OraSure Technologies, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures, markets, and sells oral fluid diagnostic products and specimen collection devices using its proprietary oral fluid technologies. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate OraSure Technologies a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
The average volume for OraSure Technologies has been 590,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. OraSure has a market cap of $409.8 million and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.61 and a short float of 5.1% with 3.11 days to cover. Shares are down 29.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates OraSure Technologies as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- OSUR has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 4.31, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 142.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $6.21 million to -$2.65 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.86 million or 107.44% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full OraSure Technologies Ratings Report.