Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The area that we feel has been the company's primary weakness has been its feeble growth in its earnings per share.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry and the overall market, ORASURE TECHNOLOGIES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has remained constant at -$7.67 million with no significant change when compared to the same quarter last year. This quarter, ORASURE TECHNOLOGIES INC's cash flow growth rate has remained relatively unchanged and is slightly below the industry average.
- ORASURE TECHNOLOGIES INC has improved earnings per share by 44.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ORASURE TECHNOLOGIES INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.20 versus -$0.29 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 25.0% in earnings (-$0.25 versus -$0.20).
- The gross profit margin for ORASURE TECHNOLOGIES INC is rather high; currently it is at 65.71%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -23.92% is in-line with the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry average. The net income increased by 44.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$10.23 million to -$5.63 million.
OraSure Technologies, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures, markets, and sells oral fluid diagnostic products and specimen collection devices using its proprietary oral fluid technologies. OraSure has a market cap of $381.4 million and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. Shares are up 14.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.