NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Oracle (ORCL) - Get Oracle Corporation Report shares are up 0.26% to $40.82 in early market trading on Friday after the business software manufacturer agreed to rival SAP's (SAP) - Get SAP SE Report $359 million settlement, ending a dispute between the companies over stolen copyrighted instruction manuals.
Thursday's announcement puts to rest a seven year dispute between the two companies after Oracle sued SAP for the theft which was engineered by a German software company that SAP purchased for $10 million.
The conflict's resolution comes after a jury initially awarded Oracle a $1.3 billion settlement that was later lowered to $272 million by a federal court judge. That settlement had been tied up in the appeals process until an appeals court ruled in August that Oracle either had to accept a $356.7 million settlement plus $2.5 million in interest or go back to trial.
TheStreet Ratings team rates ORACLE CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ORACLE CORP (ORCL) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- ORCL's revenue growth trails the industry average of 28.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for ORACLE CORP is currently very high, coming in at 82.31%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 25.40% is above that of the industry average.
- ORACLE CORP's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, ORACLE CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.39 versus $2.26 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.04 versus $2.39).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ORCL Ratings Report