Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Old Dominion Freight Lines as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ODFL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $42.2 million.
- ODFL has traded 3,978 shares today.
- ODFL is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ODFL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ODFL NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on ODFL:
Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc. operates as a less-than-truckload (LTL) motor carrier in North America. It provides regional, inter-regional, and national LTL services; and other logistics services. ODFL has a PE ratio of 26.3. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Old Dominion Freight Lines a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Old Dominion Freight Lines has been 482,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. Old Dominion Freight Lines has a market cap of $6.4 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 0.47 and a short float of 1.3% with 1.68 days to cover. Shares are up 40% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Old Dominion Freight Lines as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 9.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- ODFL's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.13 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels.
- OLD DOMINION FREIGHT has improved earnings per share by 28.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, OLD DOMINION FREIGHT increased its bottom line by earning $2.40 versus $1.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.97 versus $2.40).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Road & Rail industry average. The net income increased by 29.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $60.15 million to $77.91 million.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 28.57% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 53.99% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full Old Dominion Freight Lines Ratings Report.