NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Newmont Mining Corp. (NEM) - Get Newmont Goldcorp Corporation (NEM) Report are higher by 4.10% to $25.16 in late afternoon trading on Friday, as some gold and mining related stocks rise along with the price of the precious metal.
Gold for April delivery is gaining by 2.09% to $1,282.20 per ounce on the COMEX this afternoon.
The price of the yellow metal is advancing due to a 2% decline on expectations for a rise in U.S. interest rates, Reuters reports.
Exclusive Report:Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
Gold had spent Thursday in the red due to investors' concerns that January's strong gains would not be maintained.
The U.S. is expected to move forward with its plan to raise interest rates for the first time in almost a decade later in the year, Reuters added.
"We're expecting the first interest rate hike early in the fourth quarter, in October. That's when we think there will be more pressure on gold, because people realize that the interest rate cycle is moving against then," an analyst with Carsten Menke told Reuters.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates NEWMONT MINING CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate NEWMONT MINING CORP (NEM) a SELL. This is driven by a number of negative factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 46.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $398.00 million to $213.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for NEWMONT MINING CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.61%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 12.19% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $324.00 million or 26.36% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 26.36%, NEWMONT MINING CORP is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -27.92%.
- In its most recent trading session, NEM has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- NEWMONT MINING CORP's earnings per share declined by 50.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEWMONT MINING CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$5.16 versus $3.78 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.03 versus -$5.16).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NEM Ratings Report