Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings quantitative algorithm evaluates over 4,300 stocks on a daily basis by 32 different data factors and assigns a unique buy, sell, or hold recommendation on each stock. Click here to learn more.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Newfield Exploration (NFX) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from Hold to Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO (NFX) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, attractive valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 25.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO turned its bottom line around by earning $0.79 versus -$6.70 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.84 versus $0.79).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 3871.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $7.00 million to $278.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO is currently very high, coming in at 74.26%. Regardless of NFX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NFX's net profit margin of 45.57% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NFX Ratings Report