Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified UIL Holdings as such a stock due to the following factors:
- UIL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $12.1 million.
- UIL has traded 2,188 shares today.
- UIL is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in UIL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for UIL NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on UIL:
UIL Holdings Corporation, through its subsidiaries, operates in the regulated utility businesses. The company operates in the Electric Distribution, Electric Transmission, and Gas Distribution segments. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.7%. UIL has a PE ratio of 22.4. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate UIL Holdings a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for UIL Holdings has been 410,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. UIL has a market cap of $2.6 billion and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 0.77 and a short float of 2.9% with 6.27 days to cover. Shares are up 6.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates UIL Holdings as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, good cash flow from operations and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- UIL HOLDINGS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, UIL HOLDINGS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.18 versus $2.02 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.25 versus $2.18).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Electric Utilities industry. The net income increased by 142.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5.16 million to $12.50 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $42.79 million or 26.83% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, UIL HOLDINGS CORP has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 19.24%.
- UIL, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 5.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.4%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full UIL Holdings Ratings Report.