Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Colony Financial as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CLNY has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $24.7 million.
- CLNY has traded 21,865 shares today.
- CLNY is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CLNY with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CLNY NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CLNY:
Colony Financial, Inc., a real estate investment and finance company, focuses on acquiring, originating, and managing various real estate-related debt and equity investments. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 5.9%. CLNY has a PE ratio of 21.1. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Colony Financial a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
The average volume for Colony Financial has been 1.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Colony Financial has a market cap of $2.8 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 0.43 and a short float of 4.9% with 4.78 days to cover. Shares are up 6.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
rates Colony Financial as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income, expanding profit margins and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CLNY's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 13.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 59.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 47.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $26.45 million to $38.95 million.
- The gross profit margin for COLONY FINANCIAL INC is currently very high, coming in at 74.89%. Regardless of CLNY's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CLNY's net profit margin of 50.40% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- COLONY FINANCIAL INC's earnings per share declined by 6.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, COLONY FINANCIAL INC reported lower earnings of $1.19 versus $1.34 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.52 versus $1.19).
- You can view the full Colony Financial Ratings Report.