Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Nordstrom as such a stock due to the following factors:
- JWN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $161.7 million.
- JWN has traded 21,066 shares today.
- JWN is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in JWN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for JWN NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on JWN:
Nordstrom, Inc., a fashion specialty retailer, offers apparel, shoes, cosmetics, and accessories for women, men, and children in the United States. It operates in two segments, Retail and Credit. The Retail segment offers a selection of brand name and private label merchandise. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.8%. JWN has a PE ratio of 19.9. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Nordstrom a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 12 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Nordstrom has been 1.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Nordstrom has a market cap of $14.4 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 1.34 and a short float of 2.9% with 1.93 days to cover. Shares are up 21.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Nordstrom as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 4.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The stock has not only risen over the past year, it has done so at a faster pace than the S&P 500, reflecting the earnings growth and other positive factors similar to those we have cited here. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- NORDSTROM INC has improved earnings per share by 5.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, NORDSTROM INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.72 versus $3.56 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.75 versus $3.72).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Multiline Retail industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 3.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $137.00 million to $142.00 million.
- 41.75% is the gross profit margin for NORDSTROM INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of JWN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, JWN's net profit margin of 4.52% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full Nordstrom Ratings Report.