Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified National Penn as such a stock due to the following factors:
- NPBC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $12.2 million.
- NPBC has traded 499,987 shares today.
- NPBC is trading at 5.89 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- NPBC is trading at a new high 3.01% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NPBC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NPBC NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on NPBC:
National Penn Bancshares, Inc. operates as the bank holding company for National Penn Bank that provides commercial banking products and services to residents and businesses primarily in eastern and central Pennsylvania. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4.5%. NPBC has a PE ratio of 14.7. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates National Penn a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold.
The average volume for National Penn has been 686,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. National Penn has a market cap of $1.4 billion and is part of the financial sector and banking industry. The stock has a beta of 0.93 and a short float of 5% with 4.57 days to cover. Shares are down 15.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates National Penn as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, growth in earnings per share, notable return on equity and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for NATIONAL PENN BANCSHARES INC is currently very high, coming in at 92.02%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 27.59% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, NATIONAL PENN BANCSHARES INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- NATIONAL PENN BANCSHARES INC has improved earnings per share by 11.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NATIONAL PENN BANCSHARES INC reported lower earnings of $0.37 versus $0.66 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.70 versus $0.37).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 9.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.2%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Commercial Banks industry average. The net income increased by 4.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $25.02 million to $26.20 million.
- You can view the full National Penn Ratings Report.