Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified National Bank of Greece as such a stock due to the following factors:
- NBG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $12.3 million.
- NBG has traded 737,660 shares today.
- NBG is trading at 2.34 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- NBG is trading at a new high 3.13% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NBG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NBG NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on NBG:
National Bank of Greece S.A., together with its subsidiaries, offers diversified financial services primarily in Greece. The company is involved in retail and commercial banking, investment management, investment banking, insurance, investment activities, and securities trading activities. NBG has a PE ratio of 85.8. Currently there are no analysts that rate National Bank of Greece a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for National Bank of Greece has been 4.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. National Bank of Greece has a market cap of $12.1 billion and is part of the financial sector and banking industry. Shares are down 37.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
rates National Bank of Greece as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The share price of NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE has not done very well: it is down 12.57% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE turned its bottom line around by earning $1.98 versus -$27.80 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 92.4% in earnings ($0.15 versus $1.98).
- 38.88% is the gross profit margin for NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE which we consider to be strong. Regardless of NBG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 12.19% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 105.79% to $414.69 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -103.68%.
- Compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full National Bank of Greece Ratings Report.