NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Nabors Industries Ltd. (NBR) - Get Report are gaining by 7.83% to $12.95 in mid-morning trading on Tuesday, as the rise in oil prices sends stocks in the energy and oil sector higher today.
Crude oil (WTI) is up by 2.93% to $51.02 per barrel and Brent crude is rising by 2.21% to $55.96 per barrel this morning, according to the Bloomberg index.
Oil prices have been increasing since last week and are continuing to move higher today as BP (BP) - Get Report announced a reduction in its capital expenditure by 13% to $20 billion for 2015, Reuters reports.
Exclusive Report:Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
Crude oil has jumped over 15% since Thursday following data showing the number of U.S. drilling rigs had fallen the most in a week in almost 30-years, Reuters added.
Oil prices have been dropping since June due to a global over supply. In November prices fell further after OPEC announced it would not be cutting its production rate despite the supply glut.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD (NBR) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and reasonable valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- NBR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 16.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD reported lower earnings of $0.51 versus $0.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.18 versus $0.51).
- The gross profit margin for NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 34.83%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the weak results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 5.84% is above that of the industry average.
- NBR's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 37.56%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Although its share price is down sharply from a year ago, do not assume that it can now be tagged as cheap and attractive. The reality is that, based on its current price in relation to its earnings, NBR is still more expensive than most of the other companies in its industry.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NBR Ratings Report