Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Monsanto as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MON has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $296.2 million.
- MON traded 33,636 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:12 AM.
- MON is up 6.9% today from yesterday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MON with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MON NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on MON:
Monsanto Company, together with its subsidiaries, provides agricultural products for farmers worldwide. It operates in two segments, Seeds and Genomics, and Agricultural Productivity. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.4%. MON has a PE ratio of 24.2. Currently there are 13 analysts that rate Monsanto a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Monsanto has been 2.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Monsanto has a market cap of $64.0 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and chemicals industry. The stock has a beta of 1.27 and a short float of 1.3% with 3.05 days to cover. Shares are up 4.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
rates Monsanto as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MONSANTO CO has improved earnings per share by 15.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, MONSANTO CO increased its bottom line by earning $4.56 versus $3.78 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.25 versus $4.56).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Chemicals industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 12.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $1,483.00 million to $1,670.00 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 11.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- MON's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.23 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.39, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The gross profit margin for MONSANTO CO is rather high; currently it is at 62.02%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 28.63% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- You can view the full Monsanto Ratings Report.