Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a momo momentum candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Monsanto as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MON has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $946.8 million.
- MON has a PE ratio of 34.
- MON is currently in the upper 30% of its 1-year range.
- MON is in the upper 25% of its 20-day range.
- MON is in the upper 35% of its 5-day range.
- MON is currently trading above yesterday's high.
- MON has experienced a gap between today's open and yesterday's close of 2%.
'Momo Momentum' stocks are valuable stocks to watch for a variety of reasons including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in a mark-up phase before a possible distribution period and price decline. Technical analysts and traders frequently find that the factors referenced above tend to create a temporary burst of strong wind in a stock's sail. Nevertheless, all successful traders must excel at maximizing gains while keeping losses to an absolute minimum. For that reason, the holding period on momo momentum stocks must always be a primary consideration, and this part of the puzzle is ultimately at the discretion of each individual's risk tolerance and portfolio risk management skills.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MON with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MON NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on MON:
Monsanto Company, together with its subsidiaries, provides agricultural products for farmers worldwide. It operates in two segments, Seeds and Genomics, and Agricultural Productivity. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2%. MON has a PE ratio of 34. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Monsanto a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Monsanto has been 3.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Monsanto has a market cap of $46.3 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and chemicals industry. The stock has a beta of 0.96 and a short float of 2% with 0.91 days to cover. Shares are up 10.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates Monsanto as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for MONSANTO CO is rather high; currently it is at 61.36%. Regardless of MON's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MON's net profit margin of 23.45% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to other companies in the Chemicals industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, MONSANTO CO has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- MON, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 7.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 12.8%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Chemicals industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has significantly decreased by 25.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $1,425.00 million to $1,063.00 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.17 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, MON has a quick ratio of 0.60, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Monsanto Ratings Report.