Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings quantitative algorithm evaluates over 4,300 stocks on a daily basis by 32 different data factors and assigns a unique buy, sell, or hold recommendation on each stock. Click here to learn more.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Misonix (MSON) - Get Report has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from Buy to Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate MISONIX INC (MSON) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 7.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 42.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- MSON has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.98, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for MISONIX INC is currently very high, coming in at 72.11%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 6.73% trails the industry average.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 141.66% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 112.38% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, however, we cannot assume that the stock's past performance is going to drive future results. Quite to the contrary, its sharp appreciation over the last year is one of the factors that should prompt investors to seek better opportunities elsewhere.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry and the overall market, MISONIX INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MSON Ratings Report