Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Microchip Technology as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MCHP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $75.2 million.
- MCHP has traded 388,763 shares today.
- MCHP is trading at 5.41 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- MCHP is trading at a new high 3.01% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MCHP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MCHP NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on MCHP:
Microchip Technology Incorporated develops, manufactures, and sells semiconductor products for various embedded control applications. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.1%. MCHP has a PE ratio of 25.2. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Microchip Technology a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Microchip Technology has been 1.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Microchip Technology has a market cap of $9.2 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 1.02 and a short float of 11.7% with 12.75 days to cover. Shares are up 1.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Microchip Technology as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MCHP's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 10.9%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, MICROCHIP TECHNOLOGY INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $192.05 million or 23.96% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, MICROCHIP TECHNOLOGY INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -80.39%.
- MCHP's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.61 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 4.07 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- You can view the full Microchip Technology Ratings Report.