Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Maxwell Technologies as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MXWL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $4.9 million.
- MXWL has traded 62,077 shares today.
- MXWL is trading at 2.18 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- MXWL is trading at a new high 3.02% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MXWL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MXWL NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on MXWL:
Maxwell Technologies, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures, and markets energy storage and power delivery products worldwide. MXWL has a PE ratio of 93.9. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Maxwell Technologies a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
The average volume for Maxwell Technologies has been 633,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Maxwell has a market cap of $224.8 million and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 1.83 and a short float of 19.2% with 6.85 days to cover. Shares are down 3.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Maxwell Technologies as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and deteriorating net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MXWL's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.07 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.40, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- 42.28% is the gross profit margin for MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of MXWL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -2.56% trails the industry average.
- MXWL, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 5.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 17.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES INC reported lower earnings of $0.22 versus $0.25 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 147.7% in earnings (-$0.11 versus $0.22).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 134.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $3.41 million to -$1.18 million.
- You can view the full Maxwell Technologies Ratings Report.