Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Mack-Cali Realty as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CLI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $40.1 million.
- CLI has traded 828,639 shares today.
- CLI traded in a range 227.2% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.03.
- CLI traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 201 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 201 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CLI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CLI NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CLI:
Mack-Cali Realty Corporation is a real estate investment trust (REIT). It engages in the leasing, management, acquisition, development, and construction of commercial real estate properties in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 5.5%. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Mack-Cali Realty a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Mack-Cali Realty has been 1.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Mack-Cali has a market cap of $1.9 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 0.95 and a short float of 4.8% with 2.34 days to cover. Shares are up 3.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Mack-Cali Realty as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 67.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $14.28 million to $4.64 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, MACK-CALI REALTY CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The share price of MACK-CALI REALTY CORP has not done very well: it is down 22.63% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- MACK-CALI REALTY CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MACK-CALI REALTY CORP reported lower earnings of $0.33 versus $0.77 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.46 versus $0.33).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 6.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- You can view the full Mack-Cali Realty Ratings Report.