Metropolitan Police arrested a suspect in central London Tuesday after a man injured several pedestrians before crashing his car into security barriers outside the Houses of Parliament.
In what looks to be a major security incident, with echoes of attacks in London last year that killed four people including a law enforcement official, police say the man drove his car onto the sidewalk outside of Parliament just after 7:30 am local time. Officials have said they do not think the reported injuries are life-threatening, and said its Counter Terrorism Command is investigating the events.
"The male driver of the car (no further details) was arrested by officers at the scene," New Scotland Yard said in a statement Tuesday. "A number of pedestrians have been injured. We await an update on their condition, however officers do not believe that anyone is in a life-threatening condition."
"Officers remain at the scene and cordons are in place to assist the investigation. Westminster Tube station is closed," the statement added. "Enquiries continue."
At 0737hrs today, a car was in collision with barriers outside the Houses of Parliament. The male driver of the car was detained by officers at the scene. A number of pedestrians have been injured. Officers remain at the scene. We will issue further info when we have it.— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) August 14, 2018
In March of 2017, PC Keith Palmer was stabbed to death, while three others were killed, when a man mounted the sidewalk on Westminster Bridge, just a few hundred yards from today's incident, and ploughed into pedestrians before attempting to enter the House of Parliament grounds.
Breaking: Big armed police response to car which has cashed into Parliament barriers we are now being moved back pic.twitter.com/rYAqExq6rn— Vincent McAviney (@VinnyMcAv) August 14, 2018
Met Police said at least 50 people were injured, while a further 31 requiring hospital treatment following the incident .