NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of LinkedIn Corp (LNKD) were up 1.37% to $210.41 in early market trading Friday, after analysts at Mizuho called the professional networking site the firm's top mid-cap stock pick earlier this morning.
The firm initiated coverage with a "buy" rating and a $240 price target.
Analysts at Mizuho believe LinkedIn has transformed into a major media company that gives users valuable insights and tools.
LinkedIn helps manage professional identity, ability to build and engage with professional networks, access to knowledge, insights and opportunities and ubiquitous access.
The company is based in Mountain View, Calif.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates LINKEDIN CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate LINKEDIN CORP (LNKD) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed, some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 34.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.32, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 4.51 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 216.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$13.45 million to -$42.55 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, LINKEDIN CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LNKD Ratings Report