Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Liberty Property as such a stock due to the following factors:
- LPT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $40.7 million.
- LPT has traded 3.0 million shares today.
- LPT traded in a range 231.2% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.12.
- LPT traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 2 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 2 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in LPT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for LPT NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on LPT:
Liberty Property Trust is a publicly owned real estate investment holding trust. Through its subsidiary, it provides leasing, property management, development, acquisition, and other tenant-related services for a portfolio of industrial and office properties. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 5.6%. LPT has a PE ratio of 52.2. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Liberty Property a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Liberty Property has been 1.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Liberty Property has a market cap of $5.0 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 1.13 and a short float of 1.7% with 2.90 days to cover. Shares are down 0.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Liberty Property as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 11.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 25.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 27.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $40.11 million to $29.25 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, LIBERTY PROPERTY TRUST underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Liberty Property Ratings Report.