Crude oil (WTI) is plummeting 3.88% to $30.19 per barrel this afternoon and Brent crude is down 3.17% to $30.55 per barrel, according to the CNBC.com index.
Oil prices are dipping as concerns over the global oversupply and weaker demand from China continue, Reuters reports.
"The market is being driven by excess supply and weak demand," Gene McGillian, a senior analyst at Tradition Energy told Bloomberg. "We got a short relief rally earlier today that ran out of steam."
Additionally, Barclays, Macquarie, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Standard Chartered and Societe Generale lowered their oil forecasts for 2016 this week. Standard Chartered said the commodity could drop as low as $10 per barrel, Reuters noted.
Kinder Morgan is a Houston-based energy and energy infrastructure company.
Separately, recently, TheStreet Ratings objectively rated this stock according to its "risk-adjusted" total return prospect over a 12-month investment horizon. Not based on the news in any given day, the rating may differ from Jim Cramer's view or that of this articles's author. TheStreet Ratings has this to say about the recommendation:
We rate KINDER MORGAN INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and generally higher debt management risk.
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- 46.56% is the gross profit margin for KINDER MORGAN INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 5.01% is above that of the industry average.
- Despite the weak revenue results, KMI has outperformed against the industry average of 36.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 13.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 65.56%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 75.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Despite the heavy decline in its share price, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry.
- KINDER MORGAN INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, KINDER MORGAN INC reported lower earnings of $0.95 versus $1.15 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 26.3% in earnings ($0.70 versus $0.95).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: KMI