NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 175.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $77.70 million to -$58.45 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 78.68%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 176.59% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD turned its bottom line around by earning $1.62 versus -$0.19 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 90.2% in earnings ($0.16 versus $1.62).
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 18.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 27.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
JA Solar Holdings Co., Ltd., through its subsidiaries, engages in the design, development, manufacture, and sale of photovoltaic solar cells and solar products, which convert sunlight into electricity in the People's Republic of China. The company has a P/E ratio of 0.9, equal to the average electronics industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. JA Solar Holdings Company Limited American has a market cap of $258.4 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are down 76.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our