Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Intrepid Potash as such a stock due to the following factors:
- IPI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $2.6 million.
- IPI has traded 498,444 shares today.
- IPI is trading at 4.10 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- IPI is trading at a new high 6.00% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in IPI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for IPI NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on IPI:
Intrepid Potash, Inc. engages in the extraction, production, and sale of potassium containing products in the United States. It produces muriate of potash and langbeinite, a low-chloride potassium fertilizer that contains sulfate and magnesium. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Intrepid Potash a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Intrepid Potash has been 1.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Intrepid Potash has a market cap of $96.6 million and is part of the basic materials sector and chemicals industry. The stock has a beta of 0.76 and a short float of 18.1% with 3.97 days to cover. Shares are down 49.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
rates Intrepid Potash as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Chemicals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 382.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $6.53 million to -$18.43 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Chemicals industry and the overall market, INTREPID POTASH INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for INTREPID POTASH INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 6.51%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -25.14% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$1.09 million or 103.34% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 87.84%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 366.66% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full Intrepid Potash Ratings Report.