NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Analysts at Credit Suisse cut their earnings estimates on Hershey Co. (HSY) - Get Hershey Company (HSY) Report to $4.33 per share from $4.43 per share for fiscal 2015. The firm also reduced its estimates for fiscal 2016 to $4.70 per share from $4.83 per share.
Credit Suisse said it lowered its numbers on the chocolates and candies maker after the company's weak fourth-quarter earnings results and lower sales and EPS guidance for 2015.
"Elasticity of demand and weak consumer traffic hurt the everyday chocolate business in the grocery and drug channel," Credit Suisse said.
Exclusive Report:Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
"We do not view the risk/reward as compelling enough to change our 'neutral' rating," the firm added.
Shares of Hershey closed at $103.29 on Thursday afternoon.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates HERSHEY CO as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate HERSHEY CO (HSY) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in stock price during the past year, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- HSY's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- HERSHEY CO' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HERSHEY CO increased its bottom line by earning $3.61 versus $2.89 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.02 versus $3.61).
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- 46.54% is the gross profit margin for HERSHEY CO which we consider to be strong. Regardless of HSY's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HSY's net profit margin of 11.40% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market, HERSHEY CO's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HSY Ratings Report