NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Hecla Mining (HL) - Get Hecla Mining Company Report are down 1.5% to $3.29 in afternoon trading as gold and silver-related stocks decline following the results of the elections in Greece, CNBC reports.
Equities are recovering today after an anti-austerity party won elections in Greece, resolving the uncertainty surrounding the election, CNBC noted.
Spot gold is down 1.01% to $1,279.50 as of 2:12 p.m. ET today. Spot silver is also down 1.89% to $17.95 today.
Exclusive Report:Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
Hecla Mining is a low-cost U.S. silver producer with operating mines in Alaska, Idaho and Quebec, Canada.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates HECLA MINING CO as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate HECLA MINING CO (HL) a SELL. This is driven by some concerns, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The area that we feel has been the company's primary weakness has been its poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- 35.81% is the gross profit margin for HECLA MINING CO which we consider to be strong. Regardless of HL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HL's net profit margin of 2.71% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, HECLA MINING CO's return on equity has significantly outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- HECLA MINING CO reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HECLA MINING CO swung to a loss, reporting -$0.08 versus $0.05 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.01 versus -$0.08).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income increased by 143.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$8.46 million to $3.68 million.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, and has traded in line with the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HL Ratings Report