Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market mover with heavy volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified City National as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CYN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $20.5 million.
- CYN traded 148,325 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:33 AM, representing 64.5% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CYN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CYN NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CYN:
City National Corporation operates as the bank holding company for City National Bank that provides banking, investment, and trust services to small to mid-sized businesses, entrepreneurs, professionals, and affluent individuals. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.8%. CYN has a PE ratio of 18.3. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates City National a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 12 rate it a hold.
The average volume for City National has been 239,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. City has a market cap of $4.1 billion and is part of the financial sector and banking industry. The stock has a beta of 1.19 and a short float of 2.3% with 4.81 days to cover. Shares are down 7.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates City National as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, expanding profit margins and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CYN's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- CITY NATIONAL CORP's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CITY NATIONAL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.99 versus $3.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.28 versus $3.99).
- The gross profit margin for CITY NATIONAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 98.69%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 20.46% trails the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Commercial Banks industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 7.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $63.63 million to $68.65 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market, CITY NATIONAL CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full City National Ratings Report.