Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a weak on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Harmony Gold Mining as such a stock due to the following factors:
- HMY has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $2.7 million.
- HMY has traded 400,984 shares today.
- HMY is trading at 2.54 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- HMY is trading at a new low 8.07% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in HMY with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for HMY NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on HMY:
Harmony Gold Mining Company Limited is engaged in the exploration and mining of gold in South Africa and Papua New Guinea. The company also explores for silver, copper, and molybdenum. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Harmony Gold Mining a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
The average volume for Harmony Gold Mining has been 2.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Harmony has a market cap of $444.5 million and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are down 43.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Harmony Gold Mining as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 665.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $2.98 million to -$16.81 million.
- The gross profit margin for HARMONY GOLD MINING CO LTD is rather low; currently it is at 16.82%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -6.78% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $27.21 million or 61.62% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, HARMONY GOLD MINING CO LTD has marginally lower results.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 68.24%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 500.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- HARMONY GOLD MINING CO LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HARMONY GOLD MINING CO LTD continued to lose money by earning -$0.28 versus -$0.62 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 5.3% in earnings (-$0.30 versus -$0.28).
- You can view the full Harmony Gold Mining Ratings Report.