NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for GRUMA SAB DE CV is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 33.20%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 1.30% significantly trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Food Products industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 218.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$12.50 million to $14.83 million.
- GRUMA SAB DE CV reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GRUMA SAB DE CV reported lower earnings of $0.31 versus $0.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.67 versus $0.31).
- The revenue growth significantly trails the industry average of 129.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 29.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 211.11% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 45.02% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
Gruma, S.A.B. de C.V., through its subsidiaries, primarily engages in the production, marketing, distribution, and sale of tortillas, corn flour, wheat flour, and related products. The company also provides grains, such as rice and oats. The company has a P/E ratio of 56.7, above the average food & beverage industry P/E ratio of 22.7 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Gruma SAB de CV has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 15.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our