Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Goldcorp as such a stock due to the following factors:
- GG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $376.5 million.
- GG has traded 1.2 million shares today.
- GG is trading at 2.53 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- GG is trading at a new high 3.01% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in GG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for GG NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on GG:
Goldcorp Inc. is engaged in the acquisition, exploration, development, and operation of precious metal properties in Canada, the United States, Mexico, and Central and South America. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.5%. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Goldcorp a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Goldcorp has been 11.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Goldcorp has a market cap of $19.5 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are up 28.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
rates Goldcorp as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 980.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.00 million to -$44.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $192.00 million or 29.92% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, GOLDCORP INC has marginally lower results.
- GOLDCORP INC's earnings have gone downhill when comparing its most recently reported quarter with the same quarter a year earlier. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GOLDCORP INC swung to a loss, reporting -$3.30 versus $1.78 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.71 versus -$3.30).
- This stock has managed to decline in share value by 4.62% over the past twelve months. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- 36.09% is the gross profit margin for GOLDCORP INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GG's net profit margin of -5.12% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- You can view the full Goldcorp Ratings Report.