Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings quantitative algorithm evaluates over 4,300 stocks on a daily basis by 32 different data factors and assigns a unique buy, sell, or hold recommendation on each stock. Click here to learn more.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gladstone Investment/De (GAIN) - Get Report has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from Buy to Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE (GAIN) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The gross profit margin for GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE is rather high; currently it is at 65.24%. Regardless of GAIN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GAIN's net profit margin of 29.73% compares favorably to the industry average.
- GAIN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 5.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 20.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE swung to a loss, reporting -$0.06 versus $0.63 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.71 versus -$0.06).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 81.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $14.94 million to $2.70 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GAIN Ratings Report