NEW YORK (
-- GFI Group
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its revenue growth. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 42.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- GFI GROUP INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GFI GROUP INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.04 versus $0.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.35 versus -$0.04).
- The share price of GFI GROUP INC has not done very well: it is down 22.97% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 614.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $4.30 million to -$22.14 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, GFI GROUP INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
GFI Group Inc. provides wholesale brokerage, clearing, electronic execution, and trading support products for financial markets in the United States and internationally. The company has a P/E ratio of 20.2, below the average financial services industry P/E ratio of 25.1 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. GFI Group has a market cap of $538.2 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 1% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff