NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Exxon Mobil (XOM) - Get Report shares are down 0.14% to $83.03 in afternoon trading on Thursday ahead of the release of the oil company's second quarter earnings results before the opening bell tomorrow.
The global oil giant is expected to report earnings of $1.11 per share on revenue of $63.08 billion.
Both totals are significant declines from the $1.66 per share and $111.6 billion the company reported in the year ago earnings period.
Separately, the company is conducting studies to gauge whether it should expand its distillation units at its Beaumont, Texas refinery, according to Reuters.
TheStreet Ratings team rates EXXON MOBIL CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate EXXON MOBIL CORP (XOM) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- XOM's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.19 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that XOM's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.54, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 38.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 36.9%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for EXXON MOBIL CORP is rather low; currently it is at 18.89%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the weak results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.34% is above that of the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 45.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $9,100.00 million to $4,940.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: XOM Ratings Report