Shares of Freeport-McMoRan Inc (FCX) - Get Freeport-McMoRan, Inc. Report are flying higher Tuesday after the company reported earnings that missed the street. Yep, you heard that right: FCX stock is up despite missing earnings per share estimates, but it reported a profit of 27 cents per share on revenue growth of 11.4%. Shares are up 15% midday in response.
"Copper is back" and revenue of $3.71 billion was impressive, TheStreet's founder Jim Cramer, who also manages the Action Alerts PLUS charitable trust portfolio, said on CNBC's "Stop Trading" segment.
Resources and mining are making a comeback and that's further backed by the earnings results out of Caterpillar Inc. (CAT) - Get Caterpillar Inc. Report , Cramer pointed out. Caterpillar beat on earnings per share and revenue estimates and raised its full-year estimates. Shares are up 4.85% to $113.48 as a result and the stock is now up 44% over the past 12 months.
"No one expected this," Cramer said of Freeport and the return to mining. "It's not in the playbook."
"That was a really good quarter," he said, and the stock does not look as if it is going to make new lows. "The stock has room to run," Cramer concluded.
Watch More with TheStreet:
- Amazon Is a Long-Term Buy, Jim Cramer Says
- 5 Outrageously Expensive Jimmy Choo Shoes and Bags That Should Scare Coach
- Take a Look at Wall Street's Sexiest Terms
- Elon Musk and 3 Other Business Titans Say Artificial Intelligence Will Send You The Pink Slip
- Stephen Curry Makes What? These 6 Sports Contracts Will Blow Your Mind
At the time of publication, Cramer's Action Alerts PLUS had no position in any companies mentioned.