Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model.
NEW YORK (
) has been reiterated by TheStreet Ratings as a buy with a ratings score of A- . The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and solid stock price performance. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- EMC CORP/MA has improved earnings per share by 20.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, EMC CORP/MA increased its bottom line by earning $1.10 versus $0.88 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.72 versus $1.10).
- EMC's revenue growth trails the industry average of 23.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,237.03 million or 16.32% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -7.25%.
- The gross profit margin for EMC CORP/MA is rather high; currently it is at 69.70%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, EMC's net profit margin of 12.20% significantly trails the industry average.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
EMC Corporation develops, delivers, and supports the information and virtual infrastructure technologies and solutions. The company has a P/E ratio of 21.5, below the average computer hardware industry P/E ratio of 22.1 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. EMC has a market cap of $56.25 billion and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 23.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
--Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff.