NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Eldorado Gold Corp. (EGO) - Get Report are down by 6.89% to $5.54 in late afternoon trading on Thursday, as gold miners retreat today due to the decline in price of the precious metal.
Gold is down by 2.28% to $1,257.80 per ounce on the COMEX this afternoon.
The yellow metal's price dropped after the Fed signaled that it was still on its way to raising U.S. interest rates this year, Reuters reports.
Exclusive Report:Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
In a policy statement issued on Wednesday the Fed said the U.S. economy was growing "at a solid pace," but maintained its position that it would be patient in determining when it will increase benchmark borrowing costs.
The possibility of an increase in U.S. interest rates could result in investors moving away from gold, as it is a non-interest-bearing asset, Reuters noted.
"The U.S. is still the driver of global growth, the Fed is the only bank considering any sort tightening, and that is going to weight on gold," a Mitsubishi Corp. strategist told Reuters.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates ELDORADO GOLD CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ELDORADO GOLD CORP (EGO) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- ELDORADO GOLD CORP's earnings per share declined by 40.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, ELDORADO GOLD CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.91 versus $0.45 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 45.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $36.41 million to $19.79 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, ELDORADO GOLD CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- The share price of ELDORADO GOLD CORP has not done very well: it is down 14.07% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $92.19 million or 23.34% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 23.34%, ELDORADO GOLD CORP is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -27.92%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: EGO Ratings Report