Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "roof leaker" (crossing below the 200-day simple moving average on higher than normal relative volume) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Ecolab as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ECL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $179.2 million.
- ECL has traded 178,457 shares today.
- ECL is trading at 2.06 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- ECL crossed below its 200-day simple moving average.
'Roof Leaker' stocks are worth watching because trading stocks that begin to experience a breakdown can lead to potentially massive losses. Once psychological and technical resistance barriers like the 200-day moving average are breached on higher than normal relative volume, the stock may then be subject to emotional selling from investors that can continue to drive the stock lower. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with weakness and volume it can indicate the start of a new, potentially dangerous, trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ECL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ECL NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on ECL:
Ecolab Inc. provides water, hygiene, and energy technologies and services for customers worldwide. The company operates in four segments: Global Industrial, Global Institutional, Global Energy, and Other. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1%. ECL has a PE ratio of 31.0. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Ecolab a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Ecolab has been 955,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Ecolab has a market cap of $33.2 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and consumer non-durables industry. The stock has a beta of 0.67 and a short float of 1.3% with 2.03 days to cover. Shares are up 6.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates Ecolab as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ECOLAB INC has improved earnings per share by 47.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, ECOLAB INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.15 versus $2.36 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.19 versus $3.15).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Chemicals industry. The net income increased by 46.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $213.10 million to $311.40 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 53.38% to $317.50 million when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 20.50%.
- The gross profit margin for ECOLAB INC is rather high; currently it is at 52.58%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.72% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Ecolab Ratings Report.