Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Dow Chemical as such a stock due to the following factors:
- DOW has 13x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 6.68 mentions/day.
- DOW has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $241.9 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in DOW with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for DOW NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on DOW:
The Dow Chemical Company manufactures and supplies products that are used primarily as raw materials in the manufacture of customer products and services worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.4%. DOW has a PE ratio of 1. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Dow Chemical a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Dow Chemical has been 6.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Dow Chemical has a market cap of $60.1 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and chemicals industry. The stock has a beta of 1.27 and a short float of 1.5% with 2.43 days to cover. Shares are up 4.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Dow Chemical as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels, notable return on equity and solid stock price performance. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.66, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.32, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. In comparison to other companies in the Chemicals industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, DOW CHEMICAL has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- After a year of stock price fluctuations, the net result is that DOW's price has not changed very much. Although its weak earnings growth may have played a role in this flat result, don't lose sight of the fact that the performance of the overall market, as measured by the S&P 500 Index, was essentially similar. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- DOW, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 5.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 13.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Dow Chemical Ratings Report.